Applying for GST Registration in Singapore
GST Registration Process:
- Step One: Determine the Type of GST Registration
- Step Two: Complete e-Learning Course (Only for Voluntary Registration)
- Step Three: Submit Your Application for GST Registration
- Step Four: GST Registration Application is Processed
- Step Five: Receive Notification of Effective Date of Registration
The letter will provide the following details:
- Your GST Registration Number
- Your Effective Date of GST Registration
GST Registration For Overseas Entities
An overseas entity is defined as one that is not a resident in Singapore and/or does not have an established place of business in Singapore.
Alternatives for Overseas Entities that Import Goods for Supply in Singapore
If you import goods for supply in Singapore, you have the following alternatives:
- You can import goods into Singapore and supply them in your business name. If your taxable supplies exceed the threshold, GST registration is compulsory. Otherwise, you may choose to register for GST voluntarily so that you can claim GST paid on imports.
- You may appoint a GST-registered Singapore agent who will import and supply goods on your behalf. This agent (known as a section 33(2) agent ) is responsible for the goods as if he is the principal. He will import goods into Singapore in his name and claim GST paid on imports. Subsequent supply of the goods will be treated as his taxable supplies and he has to account for GST on the supplies. You do not need to register for GST.